Prev: RE: [FT] Yet another question about fighters... Next: RE: [FT] Yet another question about fighters...

RE: [FT] Yet another question about fighters...

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 14:36:09 +0100
Subject: RE: [FT] Yet another question about fighters...

Hello chaps - OK, I've been watching this discussion for a while
without contributing, because it is interesting to see the different
views and options offered; within your own playing groups you can of
course do it whichever way feels best to you, but for those of you
who are interested, this is the way I'd define it within the spirit
of the way I wrote the rule originally:

The use of the term "free shot" is, in hindsight, a little misleading
- what I was attempting to convey was not an ADDITIONAL attack, but a
volley of shots without risk of return fire - if one player moves
into dogfight contact with an enemy group (or if resolving an ongoing
dogfight from a previous turn), and that enemy decides not to hang
around and engage in the dogfight then the attacking group gets to
fire at them anyway as they disengage - with the disengaging group
NOT being able to shoot back (they are pointing the wrong way and
pouring on the thrust!).
Now, if you have multiple groups engaged on both sides of a furball,
then I would say that in order for the "free shot" rule to apply, ALL
groups on one side must choose to disengage; if they do so, then the
other side gets to fire at them as they flee - but if they leave even
one group engaged in the furball, then the opposing fighters may NOT
take their "free" shot at the withdrawing groups - they are still
engaged in skirmishing with the remaining enemy.  This would mean
that there is a perfectly allowable tactic of leaving one
"sacrificial rearguard" group in contact to tie up the enemy, while
the rest of your fighters slip away without being fired on - just the
sort of heroic act that you might get in the movies!  ;-)

Best,

Jon (GZG)

>  Okay, I'm lost.
>
>I'm not sure what 'lurking' means here. Sounds like the interceptors
>are already in the battle, and will be taking shots anyway. My point
>was, in a furball, I expect only one attack, however that translates
>into weapons expended.
>
>And, an extra attack against each fleeing squadron bothers me even
>more; I'd rather be able to take multiple shots at the juicy, say
>torpedo-laden, birds, which seems even more reasonably doable than
>swinging attacks against several retreating targets.
>
>But, again, I'm lost, don't play with fighters oft, and need to
>re-re-read the associated sections.
>
>Thanks for the reply, Eric!
>
>I've been talking myself into trying BSG battles, and obviously will
>have to figure out fighters there.
>
>Doug

rust/post?postID=vf_uFJMP_pmAEAGDep-psDiHCHUK-MpTmX1cqiuycted54jUErXCCrj
MSRF3LM0mlcVhMHMkyqZ7oJz07w64ynaqI0s>,