Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Game industry

State of te gaming hobby

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 13:11:37 +1300 (NZDT)
Subject: State of te gaming hobby

Hi

There seems to be two propositions about the gaming hobby:
1) that the hobby is in good shape because there are more manufacturers
and game systems than ever.
2) that the hobby is in bad shape because local game stores are not
succeeding or not stocking many figure lines. One person even went as
far as "Even GW can't make retailing work"

I think both these propositions are true.

The hobby is changing. The internet is disintermediating the hobby with
many manufacturers supplying direct via the internet. They get retail
priced sales for the same costs as sending to wholesale suppliers.

The days of bloated supply chains with distributers, wholesalers and
retailers all getting their margin are gone.

Recently GW had to restrict the sales of their EU retailers to the EU
only to prop up their creaking supply model in other regions.

If game (or any) stores are going to survive they need to do more than
stock product and take your money. There are only 2 reasons for buying
from a local store, immediate delivery or knowledgable staff. When you
get better service and price from Amazon than from your local book store
why would you shop there?

Some game stores are becoming gaming clubs with a retail outlet, this
seems to work to a point but it's very expensive way to use store space.

So I think the hobby will go more and more online for sales of product.
The internet will be the place to find products, supplies, local players
and events.

Bricks and motar retailers will need to have direct cupply agreements
with the manufacturers who will need to consider whole of world pricing.

Recently Addidas got into a lot of trouble and brand damage for
retailing a Rugby Wolrd Cup shirt for 200 in New Zealand and people
could (and did) buy it for 100 from US online retailers.

I think wholesalers and distrubutors with regional sales territories are
an endangered species.

Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: Game industry