Prev: State of te gaming hobby Next: Re: Homework assignment (UNSC)

Game industry

From: Evyn MacDude <infojunky@c...>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 18:22:37 -0700
Subject: Game industry

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 14:36, Jerry Han <jhan@warpfish.com> wrote:

> Maybe it's just Canada.  *shrug*

Anecdote has that Canadian customs is a bear to deal with when shipping
Canada from the US for Miniatures suppliers.

You also may want to look are the age demographic of your local
population....

> Well, as I said, I can't find numbers for miniature gaming sellers as
> whole.
> I'm looking at print runs for wargames and rulesets and extrapolating.
> For example, SJG is planning a 3000 print run for Ogre 6e.  GMT Games
> usually
> sells out with print runs of 3000 to 5000.  Games Workshop revenue is
flat
> over the past 3 years.  Little bits and pieces I've read over the
Internet
> over the past several years.
>
> Admittedly, maybe I'm just used to larger numbers.  Most of my
> work/interest was computer games and stuff, so, I might be used to
> much larger numbers.	Maybe having "only" 5000 people interested in a
> certain topic in a region like North America is actually good.

Two things Last one first, Yes, Miniatures gamers are a small niche.
Only
the very biggest manufactures move product over the 10k unit number.

As for GW, they are relatively easy to track as they a publicly traded
company, they historically went from flat to small growth to a bubble of
growth based on the LotR Movie, where LotR sales increased their sales
in
other lines, then went back to pre-movie sales figures. As a public
traded
company that is bad news, as expectations are on the Movie Sales levels
not
the historic. They need their next big thing, but are afraid to spend
the
Effort and cash to figure it out, following instead of leading.

--
Evyn

Prev: State of te gaming hobby Next: Re: Homework assignment (UNSC)