Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: State of te gaming hobby

Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@g...>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 10:34:35 +1100
Subject: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....?

> Weaken the west and get richer at the same time a great scenario for
the eastern powers.

The idea that Russia and China form some sort of "Eastern Bloc" has been
obsolete for decades. It was precisely concern about Russian power that
led China to start talking to the USA back in the 1970's. Why would a
future resurgent and militarising Russia on the doorstep suddenly seem
like a good idea in Beijing?

As for the "eclectic mix" of ESU ship-class names, of the fifteen ESU
class-names given in FB1, twelve are explicitly Russian, two are
non-Russian but use names (Manchuria and Tibet*) that are very much
deprecated in China, and only one (Beijing) is actually Chinese. The
on-line store's ratio is less skewed, with a ratio of only 2:1 in
Russia's favour, but it seems people of Chinese background are still
definitely "junior partners" in the cannon ESU.

*I'm not taking any position on this. I'm just wondering why the ESU
would adopt names offensive to the Chinese if they're anything like
equals in the Union.

Prev: Re: Discussion topic - rewriting (future) history....? Next: State of te gaming hobby