Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: [GZG] One Week Until CelestiCon/Ground Zero Games West Coast

Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 (Ground Zero Games)

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 00:32:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 (Ground Zero Games)

that if the new Battle Star Galactica cylon fleet showed up in
the GZG universe their base stars would clean the clocks with all the
fleet book
ships.

While the idea of forcing ordnance based ships to buy tenders is
interesting,
as these models might not be represented on the table (why take your
cargo ships
into battle)  all you have done is to increase the points cost of
ordnance
ships.

In a campaign I can see missile armed ships being used as strikers that
jump in
blow everything up and jump out you then have ships that are beam armed
that can
stay the course longer.

In our games, we let people design their own fleets, often inspired by a
scifi
universe, but that lead to people designing fleets based in say the star
trek
universe and then someone else brings a fleet based on a Honor
Harrington
universe.

While the FT rules pay homage to WW2 or 1980s navies and use a different
set of
rules for engaging ships and ordnance all fleet design is based around
the
gamble you take in regard to how much point defence you take. If you
take 90% of
you weapon load out as pds and the enemy take ordnance then you probably
win if
then enemy takes all beams as their armament then you lose. So much of
the fate
of the game is determined by the fleet design.

While the mechanisms for shooting down missiles are Ok, the other
compounding
factor is the rate of fire for missile ships. being able to design a
ship that
can salvo 40 MT missiles as soon as the target gets to within 48 inches
and then
turn tail and run for it a mass 200 ship might mount a couple of beam 4.

We used our campaign framework to create the games and provide enough
background
to the missions. I'm not really sure how many different missions there
are, the
game is about defeating the enemy afterall.

I still think that addressing the root cause and bringing the missiles
and other
ordnance into line with direct fire weapons will fix all the problems.

Other posters have identified that its unlikely that different
technolgies would
be about in ships at the same time. I think that's evident from the
rules and
that for some reason all the fleets have got together and decided to not
use
massed missiles and fighters.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Gzg-l Digest, Vol 37, Issue 24 Next: [GZG] One Week Until CelestiCon/Ground Zero Games West Coast