Prev: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] I've been trumped... Re: Just a test....

Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

From: Robert Mayberry <robert.mayberry@g...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:05:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

There's another possibility, which is that our brand of life is very
uncommon, but that some other configuration is far more typical. For
example, if Europa-like moons are common, then you might have a huge
number of worlds with intelligent arthropods, cephalopods, etc, and
few or none with human-style land-dwelling life on it.

It might lead to a setting where the endless variety of intelligent
seafood all communicate and interact, while we end up the weirdos who
can take all the earth-like worlds but can't survive in a "normally"
(for them) habitable environment. Humans, though primitive, can expand
quickly into an established universe.

Rob

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Tom B<kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Mark, I'm pulling the 672 Mb film now.
>
> I was just thinking, if we are the only sentient species in the
> universe, we'd *better* learn how to get off this planet before we
> muck it up irreparably, since there would seem likely to be quite a
> few other planets of interest if we can figure out how to get
> there.... (plenty of room for some good old GZG factionalism among the
> stars).
>
> On the same hand, if we are the only sentient species, we are pretty
> special. Insignificant, but a real cosmic oddity. Of course, I don't
> imagine this to be the case. I just wonder if humanity will live and
> die without ever meeting any of the other likely intelligences in the
> universe. That might be sort of tragic or it might be a good thing,
> depending on circumstances.
>
> ObGZG: How many systems do we think humans have explored by the GZG
> game period? I'm guessing we've colonized less than 100, maybe 150 if
> you count every little outpost. Probably explored well not very many
> of those and explored poorly maybe another 100 or 200. That's a pretty
> small spec even for our local galaxy.
>
> The HST images suggest a universe which leaves plenty of room for any
> homebrew NAC splinter states... <G, D, R!>
>
> --
> http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
> http://www.stargrunt.ca
>
> "He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
> from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a
> precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine
>
> "When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of
> liberty quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Robert Mayberry
(678) 984-5113
Robert.Mayberry@gmail.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] I've been trumped... Re: Just a test....