Prev: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

From: Tom B <kaladorn@g...>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:24:56 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video

Thanks Mark, I'm pulling the 672 Mb film now.

I was just thinking, if we are the only sentient species in the
universe, we'd *better* learn how to get off this planet before we
muck it up irreparably, since there would seem likely to be quite a
few other planets of interest if we can figure out how to get
there.... (plenty of room for some good old GZG factionalism among the
stars).

On the same hand, if we are the only sentient species, we are pretty
special. Insignificant, but a real cosmic oddity. Of course, I don't
imagine this to be the case. I just wonder if humanity will live and
die without ever meeting any of the other likely intelligences in the
universe. That might be sort of tragic or it might be a good thing,
depending on circumstances.

ObGZG: How many systems do we think humans have explored by the GZG
game period? I'm guessing we've colonized less than 100, maybe 150 if
you count every little outpost. Probably explored well not very many
of those and explored poorly maybe another 100 or 200. That's a pretty
small spec even for our local galaxy.

The HST images suggest a universe which leaves plenty of room for any
homebrew NAC splinter states... <G, D, R!>

--
http://ante-aurorum-tenebrae.blogspot.com/
http://www.stargrunt.ca

"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy
from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a
precedent that will reach to himself." -- Thomas Paine

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of
liberty quits the horizon." -- Thomas Paine

Prev: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video Next: Re: [GZG] HST Ultra Deep Field video