Prev: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con? Next: [GZG] GZG 8 Wheelers

Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 15:50:21 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con?

Welcome!

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Wilper <wilper@gmail.com> wrote:

> What version of the rules is the proper one?

The "proper" rules, that is the rules most people follow, are those in
the Fleet Books. They are in addition to, and in some places a
replacement of, the rules in the main rulebook. The best option is to
read through the FT rule book (which it looks like you've done), play
a game or two of that (which it looks like you've done), then read the
FB (Fleet Book) rules and adapt the system to those.

I think somewhere on the web is a cheat sheet for th FB rules.

As for vector versus cinematic, the choice is personal preference,
though cinematic seems to be a little easier for people to pick up. (I
say "seems" as there are groups where that isn't the case.)

> Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on my chosen scenario and
setup?

I haven't played it, so I'll let others make suggestions.

The introductory games I've seen at conventions are pretty simple.
Just give everyone a small fleet based around the same points and let
them go after each other. Line one half of the participants on one
half of the table, the others on the other half of the table. When a
ship is destroyed, let the player bring in a replacement as a
reinforcement a turn later, so no one is eliminated. If you want to
declare a "winner" have the players keep track of the point values of
the ships they destroyed.

You end up with a game where everyone dives in blazing away, where
losing your fleet keeps you in the game. You can mix and match
factions so that the players get a feel for different weapon systems
and ship designs. It's a really good way to introduce the game. Later,
once players know what they are doing, you can introduce scenarios.

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: [GZG] Running Full Thrust at a con? Next: [GZG] GZG 8 Wheelers