Prev: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system) Next: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 12:03:16 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system)

f>http://www.freewebs.com/heavymetaldrake/modular
>Fighter Designs.pdf

So, just for the sake of argument, what if you
have a fighter system that's a full generation
ahead of all of the other space-craft it's up
against. Look at the F22 as an example. The
Super-Bugs (F18) (gen 4.5) F-15s and F16s (Gen 4)
have all had fits trying to get them in their
gunsites, let alone shoo them down. So far as
I've heard, ONE F-18 jock managed to get a kill
shot by violating the ROE for the practice
engagement which meant the F22 jock was probably
trying to avoid a collision rather than kill the
F18.

In this case it would seem that the F22 is head
and shoulders above everything else. At Red Flag
the F22s got 144 kills with no kills on their own
side.

I know this makes for gaming that's tough for the
guy with the lower gen fighters, but in theory,
the technology between say the NAC and the LLAR
should reflect this. The LLAR doesn't go to war
with the NAC because they don't want to get
buried. More or less the same reason a lot of
nations don't go to war with the US or for that
point, the Republic of Manitcore. The functional
differences between the tech edge as things have
progressed between the advanced and the slightly
advanced have increased dramatically.

John Atkinson pointed to this some time ago with
the advent of repeating rifles vs Fuzzywuzzies.
The Fuzzywuzzies could still kill the British
troops. When you get to the point where the enemy
can't even get a shot off at your guys and have
to resort to human wave tactics with expensive
assets like aircraft, what do you do?

I mean, can anyone see anyone succeeding against
the US with Mig 17s or Mig 22s against F-22s?
Presumably if the Aerospace Fighters of full
thrust are any example, the more advanced
fighters would be able to refuse combat or
maneuver to points where they can kill the lower
tech fighters just by running them out of fuel
and killing them at leisure. That's entirely
apart from the ability to remain functionally
invisible to the enemy fighters while at the same
time killing them at range before even being
detected.

I guess another area where this is a good example
is the FAA in the Falklands vs the British RN. A
lot of the Argentine Airforce jets were utterly
lacking in Radar Warning REceivers. They were
designed as intercepters and when they were being
tracked and shot at they didn't know they were in
trouble until the AIM-9s were going up their
tailpipes. They were also at such a limit of
endurance due to the battle they couldn't turn
and fight nor did they have the leisure to with
the AAA environment. No RWR to warn against being
shot at is a critical aspect just the same as no
warning against an F22 that's just rolled up on
you from 5 miles back and is engaging you with
weapons that don't emit and using sensors that
don't need to emit to detect you. (Admittedly
there's also the aspect of an AWACs in there
somewhere) but in the FT environment, presumably
the Carriers, if nearby have some VERY good
sensor resolution just based on size alone.

But, F22s with AWACs vs F16s with AWACs is still
no contest. How does this work in FT?
Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
	    I speak not for CNN, nor they for me.
       But I do work there and still like the company.
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system) Next: Re: [GZG] Mixed Role Fighters (design system)