Prev: Re: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

From: "Kenneth Coble" <kmcoble@g...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:16:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

I didn't get around to working out v1.0 of these rules yet, but I
thought
I'd solicit a bit more feedback.  In an attempt to remain somewhat
streamlined and yet cover two semi-opposing design criteria ('A' being
replicate the concept of flying/jumping/hopping infantry as put forth in
several scifi settings, and 'B' being the notion that floating gently at
100' like a hot-air balloon is a real good way to get shot), here's my
first
revision idea:

Keep something similar to my initial 'jump troop' terrain list, but
include
a provision that using it opens the unit to reaction fire, even if it's
only
using one of its actions for move that turn (as opposed to 2 movements
per
the official rules).  Alternately, the unit can use the regular infantry
movement chart and be treated as infantry in all respects.  Stuff like
speed
and loadouts can be fine-tuned based on setting.  This would allow for a
jump unit to cross the board quickly if out of enemy range, but still
penalize them for not going to ground when at actual fire distances.  It
sort of abstracts in the TL difference/spoofing/etc issues as well, as
presumably your High Tech jump unit will be at least comparatively
well-armored when compared to a lower-tech adversary; and if they're of
equivalent TLs then things should even out.

I was thinking of trying to include some kind of deal where a flying
unit
could quickly go to ground, taking a quality test similar to the
'dropping
from hovering craft' rules (treating all terrain as dangerous for this
purpose), and therefore avoid the reaction fire issue.	But without any
tabletop experience with this ruleset as of yet, I'm not certain if that
would make grav troops too powerful or not.  I'll have to think about it
-
which of course means that I hope you guys will think about it and give
me
feedback!

Thanks again for all the good and though-provoking responses to this
topic.
Keep it coming!