Prev: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives' Next: Re: [GZG] New to the list, and 2 questions: lift/jump infantry rules, and 15mm alien 'natives'

Re: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 15:35:12 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] Traveller Battle Dress

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Tom B <kaladorn@gmail.com> wrote:

> In other versions of the Traveller Universe, Battle Dress would be:
> 1) Good armour, but in theory vulnerable to small arms of varying tech
> (Classic Traveller) and stealth was not a factor in such sorts of
things,
> and also not the 'standard gear' of anyone since the original Classic
> Traveller universe, pre 3rd-Imperium, actually was very sketchily
described.
> I actually have an old article that suggested laser rifles and reflec
as
> standard Imperial Forces weaponry. (Of course, the 3rd Imperium and
later
> supplements in the CTU changed things and gave more hard detail on
what
> weapons would be available at what tech...)

There's also TNE, which is my favorite. . .

A grav belt had a 2 hour endurance, and while it could reach 300 kph,
it tended to be limited to 40 kph when at NOE.

A more common compromise was the grav parachute capable of largely
nullifying body weight and used with a parawing.  You've got five
minutes with that power pack.

There's a variety of battle dress listed.

RCES Light Battle dress had a chameleon feature, 10 hours endurance,
and would shed most low-tech small arms fire. TL 12

Heavy Battle Dress (TL 12) also had 10 hours endurance, That required,
at a minimum, a special purpose anti-tank rifle to kill, or you could
go the high-tech route and shoot it with a plasma rifle.  Anything
else was going to bounce off.

TL 14 Light Battle Dress was the standard of the Imperial Marines, and
that would stop anything short of high energy weapons and had a
chamelon option.  TL 14 Heavy Battle Dress was reserved for outfits
like the Imperial Guard or the 4518th (Duke of Regina's Own Huscarls)
Lift Infantry Regiment.

There's a reason rifle-grenades are pretty much standard issue in that
universe.  A 4cm RAM HEAP rifle grenade is a nice can opener.

John
--Vita Aureliani