Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?) Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

Re: [GZG] GZG Calendars

From: Indy <indy.kochte@g...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:24:26 -0400
Subject: Re: [GZG] GZG Calendars

,

> I think you under-rate the ability we have to discover the sources of
these
> images. In many cases, people who played in the games would be around.
In
> others, some simple examination of the four or five available games of
> given scale over any given ECC would tell us what the candidates were
and
> might even illuminate which one they belong to.

If I had volumes of spare time I could pursue avenues to get info about
the
photo contents. Just don't, alas. This is going to be a common theme for
the
next few paragraphs. ;-)

> You could control the text block, I would imagine, if you set aside a
> portion of the image and inserted the text in a standard box there. If
you
> aren't a photoshop whiz, I know piles of folks who are (I work at a
company
> that has video game aspirations and lots of computer art types).

I use an interactive program that lulu hosts to build the calendars.
I've
played with their text block captions in other calendars, so I know
already
the limitations inherent in the system.

The other thing I could do is put the text directly in the image before
uploading it, but I'm leery of doing that for what it might look like or
what might get partially cropped in the interface. And again, I don't
have
volumes of time to experiment right now.  :-(

> I'm not saying a huge text block - font does not have to be huge and
you
> could set it to a max of 25 or 30 words. Pick some non-offensive
shape/style
> and it would make a good ID for the photo.

Again, I don't have control of the text block or font in the lulu
interface.
Yes, again, I could open up Photoshop or equivalent and type it in, save
it,
upload it, see if it looks half decent, rinse and repeat if not,
but....again, I don't have that amount of spare time right now. And I'm
not
a photoshop expert by any stretch. I know some basics, learned a few
little
tricks from reading a little in an underwater photo image processing
book,
but that's about it. Farming out tasks to other people...they have to
have
the avaialble time, as well, to do what you (I) would want them to do.
If
they can't "right that minute", things can very easily get put off for
weeks
or months and then it's too late (I also experienced this when I
published
my climbing guide book). Intentions are all good, but people have to
seriously self-commit to doing something someone else wants or needs
done if
1) it's not their "job" and 2) they don't have copious amounts of spare
time.

> The one thing I think you need to find a photo of for one of these is
Jon
> Davis' Renleg game where he had 'broken crust with magma rivers' as
his
> board. It was impressive.

I wanted to. None of the photos I have are very good, though. :-(  The
few
that were good compositionally were out of focus. :-(

Mk

Prev: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale? (For GZG and others?) Next: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?