Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG Calendars Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu

Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

From: "Michael R. Blair" <pellinoire@y...>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:54:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] 25mm a dead scale?

The only 15mm figures I have are one packet of the old Traveller figures
back from when GW did them. I understand and agree with the argument
about how much you can fit on the table but the only thing that attracts
me to the scale are the new toys from GZG and so far I have managed to
resist. To me it seems to be an in-between scale, stuck between 6mm (big
armies, tiny figures) and 28mm (big figures, armies too big) – I know
this is wrong but still I am stuck with it. I have heard the point made
that they are tricky to paint – too small to do detail easily but too
big not to need it but I cannot comment on that, I hate painting,
passing it on to my brother who loves it.

20mm would seem to be a far better scale than 15mm except possibly for
the painting argument. I do use it for WW II mainly, in fact only
because of the wide range of (mostly) reasonably priced plastic kits.

I am disgusted by the scale creep that has led to 25mm becoming 28mm and
frankly I would not be surprised to see them continuing to grow. This
must be a horrible situation for the smaller companies, do they stick
with 25mm and become a backwater or do they go large and make all their
old figures obsolete?

If I start another scale it will likely be 6mm. 10mm seems to be just a
more expensive version of 6mm without he range available. 40mm figures
are very pretty but they do nothing for me that 28mm figures can not.

So I have 28mm figures for skirmishing and GW games – alas one of our
group will play nothing else. Though I must admit I do rather like their
Necrons – they suit my painting style (spray black, spray dark silver
– badly, paint details, done).

What I would like to see some relatively realistic low tech SF figures
in 28mm. Off hand those from Copplestone would come closest to this
goal.

Michael

http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] GZG Calendars Next: Re: [GZG] [CON] Support GZG ECC with a 2009 Calender from Lulu