Prev: Re: [GZG] Changing topics again (FoW) Was: Re: FT Light: 5 is the new 6? Next: Re: [GZG] Changing topics again (FoW) Was: Re: FT Light: 5 is the new 6?

Re: [GZG] Changing topics again (FoW) Was: Re: FT Light: 5 is the new 6?

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 10:48:36 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] Changing topics again (FoW) Was: Re: FT Light: 5 is the new 6?

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:55 AM, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, I'd personally say *try* FoW at some point before writing it off
> wholesale. You *might* be surprised. Or you may decide you were right,
> depending on the attitude you take to the game. <shrug> Again, YMMV,
but you
> should at leave give a game system a fair shake before chucking it
away.

This is off topic, but at least it's miniatures... but _how_
ahistorical is FoW? My 9 year old wants to play a WW2 miniatures game.
I've been looking for rules, focusing on tactical games because at his
age it's easier for him to think of a tank shooting another tank
rather than a tank platoon shooting another tank platoon. Yet the game
we play the most is abstract and he doesn't have a problem with that,
so I'm obviously worrying about something I don't need to worry about.

I keep hearing FoW come up, which might be a next logical step. We'd
be playing in 6mm, not 15mm.

I'm interested in a game that's fast paced but not too terribly
ahistorical. As a point of reference, we both enjoy playing Memoir
'44. We have the entire set of supplements. (In fact, I started out
being easy on him, but now if I'm easy on him I can't win! The last
game we played I wasn't ruthless, but I wasn't easy on him either and
he still won.)

It doesn't concern me if the game is too terribly popular. If there
are miniatures gamers, other than GW (and those are few and far
between) where we live we haven't found any. It will just be the two
of us, and maybe a friend and his son from work.

Allan

--
Allan Goodall http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com