Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: Ground Zero Games <jon@g...>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 17:19:06 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

>You'd still want ground artillery, at least for missions where you're
>defending, but probably for attacker as well. The reason is
>organizational. Requesting Ortillery would mean moving way up in the
>chain of command, and then across to the naval service. Even
>theoretically integrated structures will have an organizational seam
>where navy/aerospace and ground forces meet.

...And then you'll have the scenarios where rather than a high-tech
invading force doing a hot insertion from orbit with
space-superiority ships in direct support, you've instead got a
Mercenary Company of hovertanks hired by one bunch of farmers on a
balkanised world to help them kick the crap out of the neighbouring
bunch of farmers who speak a different language, or wear red
headscarves instead of green, or whatever, and said tank company
arrives on-world via a regular spaceport in a couple of chartered
bulk freighters.

I suspect that what we need, in game terms, is some kind of Artillery
Environment rules similar in style to the SGII Aerospace Environment
concept; an abstract system that compares tech levels and available
resources (offensive and defensive) of each side in the battle, and
uses this to affect both the availability and the effectiveness of
artillery and other support fire.

Jon (GZG)

>Obviously, organizational behavior as a science is advancing rapidly,
>so maybe interservice rivalries and differing priorities will be a
>thing of the past. Or maybe not. It certainly feels right.
>

>Robert Mayberry
>

>On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Adrian1 <al.ll@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>  I was wondering if anybody was thinking in 3 dimensions.  If your
the
>>  invader, you will have spaceships in orbit.  The rules clearly state
>>  that ORTILLERY exists.  If an army is tasked with orbital assault,
it is
>>  more than likely that it will have ortillery - as in spaceraft with
>>  ground bombardment capability.  All a unit on the ground would need
>>  use this is a IFF device, a com unit and a compass.  Wouldn't
suprise me
>>  if the typical message was "enemy target 300 yards north on my
signal -
>>  confirm and destroy".
>>
>>  Anybody seen Google Earth - thats non-military technology available
>>  today.  In 200 years I reckon that anybody in orbit will be able to
SEE