Prev: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!) Next: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

From: sax@s...
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Artillery considerations (was: Re: Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!)

I hear a lot of earth-like parallels here.  What if none of them
applied?  GPS?	What GPS?  You arrived in hostile territory, and
you haven't had time to set up GPS satellites nor calibrate
them to get them accurate to within 100'.  Plus, the enemy
keeps shooting at them.  What if you can't see from orbit?
Ion storms, magnetic radiation, dense gas clouds, and enemy
spoofing could make picking out targets on the ground
difficult.  It could also make picking out friend from foe
difficult.  Someone mentioned a compass.  What good is that
if the planet has no magnetic poles, or magnetic poles that
keep shifting?	Heck, the planet itself might not even be
all that sperical.

Just my 2 cents.

--Greg