Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

From: John Tailby <john_tailby@x...>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 15:12:58 +1000 (EST)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!

r argument has gotten highly emotional.
"Needlessly reprint" is an opinion you hold.
Many GW games don't hold this opinion. You are not the only persion I
have seen that has complained about how hard it is to keep up with games
produced by corporate game companies. GW are not the only game that
release regular suppliments that sometimes change the existing units and
or stimulate people to buy new units. Rackham and Privatee Press both
maintain design studios and both pump out rules updates and suppliments
on a regular basis. Some of these change the rules and the effectiveness
of units
I find the fact that the GZG rules have not been updated in the best
part of 10 years and are not always consistent accross the multiple
books I find off putting. My gaming group found the same so we wrote our
own version of the FT rules,
"long-ranging expansions"
 Another emotive phrase, I'd call no updates for 10 years stagnant
myself. But some classic games like chess have not had an update for
1000+ years and still sell.
It looks like defining the appropriate release cycle is a hard thing for
the games companies. Too quickly and people feel their purchase is
invaildated, too slowly and people get bored waiting for the expansions.
I am sorry that you no longer like GW games. The original poster seemed
to want a perspective and you gave him one from a person that no longer
likes the game, I tried to give him a response from someone that enjoys
the game and compared the GW (and other corporate game houses) approach
to the GZG cottage industry approach.
I know I would be a lot more inspired to play FT if there were a
collected edition fo the second ed rules and fleet books, minis were
released with SSDs and there wase more development of the campaign
background and storyline with new campaigns and missions featuring the
new ship models.

I never tried to tear down the GZG approach. I compared it to what the
other companies do.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Next: Re: [GZG] Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi!