Prev: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. Next: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

From: J L Hilal <jlhilal@y...>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 12:42:49 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.

--- Adrian1 <al.ll@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

> What I'm looking for is someones attemp at comnbining the three levels

> of GZG universe rules.
>
> I would like to know	what relationship there is between full Thrust,
> Dirtside and Stargrunt units so I can engage in a "role-playing"
> campaign where a company of stargrunt troops try not to get
obliterated
> by an unlucky die roll in Full Thrust.
>
> While I could probably do it myself, I'd rather leave it to "the
> committee"  so there is some kind of average.

The answer to that depends on exactly what you are asking.  If you are
asking
specifically for the GZG-universe, then that is already available in the
conversion rules in More Thrust.  If, on the other hand, you are looking
for
something more generic, either for your own setting or for something
else like
B5, SW, ST(any), BSG, HH, or whatever, then you have to be aware that
the GZG
setting (and conversion system) has really tiny space ships (1 MASS =
100t).
Ground fores (and fighters) therefor take up a lot of MASS in the
published
conversions.  The GZG background is designed around really small ground
forces
The sample Assault Transport in FB1 has a total of 32 MASS for both
troops and
vehicles.

For example, a modern US LHD or LPD amphib would be a TMF 350-400 FT
ship based
on tonnage, and use 40 MASS just to barrack its 2000 marines, not
including the
LCACs, AAVs, helicopters, Harriers, Ospreys, or ground vehicles like
tanks and
LAVs.  Similarly, a Nimitz-type supercarrier converts to TMF 900-1000.

For Sci-fi examples, the MT conversion is barracks for 50 troops = 1
MASS.  The
B5 episode "Gropos" had 25,000 troops (500 MASS for barracks) plus
vehicles,
VTOL gunships, assault shuttles, etc. on 1 Nova-class destroyer and 5
transport
ships.

Conversion based on tonnage makes Kirk's Enterprise (movies) ~ TMF 2000,
and
Enterprise-D ~ TMF 50,000

Conversion based on tonnage makes Honor Harrington LACs ~ TMF 400, DDs ~
TMF
800, and SDNs ~ TMF 80,000.  Havenite Longstop-class fast assault
transport ~
TMF 60,000.

Try building (FB system) a Star Destroyer including the ground legion
(10,000
troops, 20xAT-AT, 30xAT-ST), assault transports, assault shuttles, etc.

Obviously, these settings need a different conversion factor, perhaps 1
MASS =
1000t, 2000t, 5000t, or 10,000t, and then multiply the ground troops
conversion
by a corresponding factor (x10, 20, 50 or 100).  This will allow you to
pack
more troops onto your transports.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought. Next: Re: [GZG] Multi-level rules sought.