Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@g...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:03:05 -0600
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

On Jan 30, 2008 9:30 AM, Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Naah, I'll give Thapa my ghurka buddy a kuhkuri
> and my FAL and he can try his craft against you.
> I'll issue you both with blanks so noone really
> gets hurt. ;-)

Depends on the situation--and remember that it isn't man vs. man, it
should be platoon vs. squad.

> The advantage of heavier weapons like a kukri or
> axe or sharpened E-Tool (the WWII types, not the
> folding thing we have today) is that they tend to
> be blunt force items as well if they don't
> penetrate. Generally the kukhri is used on arms
> and legs and such which are much harder to
> protect. A severed arm raised in defense will
> generally make someone combat ineffective and a
> casualty in short order. It's hard to charge your
> M4 with your hand sitting in your lap. Though you
> can try the other hand usually by then you'd have
> seen your head stoved in.

I don't have to charge it, since I've gone in Red, and 1) doubt anyone
will get close enough to sever a limb, 2) have a full magazine to
offload into him anyway, and 3) have a squad of buddies behind me.

> >There should be a severe disadvantage for folks going into combat
> >without firearms.  There is a reason we don't really fix bayonets
> >before going into houses anymore.  Proper CQB techniques minimize the
> >chance of being surprised by some idiot at arm's length or less, and
> >you should already have your weapon up and ready to engage the target
> >anyway.
>
> You'd say that, but they still seem to have an
> effect. A bunch of enraged soldiers rushing at
> you with steel fixed tends to cause a fear
> response.

Against a mob of civilians, yes.  Against troops, less so.

>I think the British used them
> relatively recently to clear a street of
> insurgents/rioters when a couple of their
> squaddies got hit with petrol bombs. I do think

Sure--if your ROE doesn't permit you to open fire, or you have a
situation where rioters you don't wish to kill are making a nuisance
of themselves.	Against guys with AKs who are shooting at you, return
fire.

> they stuck a few of the folks responsible too.
> The British in WWII did routinely carry the day
> with bayonet charges against Germans (no slouches
> when it came to infantry attacks) when everyone
> had ammo running low and it was win or loose time.

Only if there were no MGs in play.  See: Battle of the Somme.

> Really, I think the point to be asked, is would
> light armor, a carbine and a hand weapon like an
> axe, kukhri or gladius useful where forces along
> side or opposing are using heavy armor and more
> weight of kit?

Nope--because you are going to have to decide which you want to use at
any given time, the firearm or the sharp stick.  A bayonet allows you
to do both, which means you don't have to 100% rely on getting to
within 3 feet of me.

John
--Vita Aureliani

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?