Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

From: Stephen Scothern <stephen.scothern@G...>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:54:51 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?

John Atkinson wrote:
> On Jan 30, 2008 2:27 AM, Samuel Penn wrote:
>

>> Which brings me to my peeve of the randomness of the die mechanic.
>> Good troops are less predictable in their results than poor troops.
>>

> I agree.  Good troops should be less random than green ones, not more
so.

> How about Green troops getting a d6, regulars d6+2, veterans d6+4,
etc?

> John

'Good' troops actual dice rolls are less predictable, but their
effectiveness is more predictable - i.e. they will tend do everything
better than 'bad' troops ( a d8 will beat a d6 56% of the time, draw
13%, lose 31%). ( green vs green gives W/D/L of 42% / 16% / 42%).

If you gave regular troops a d6+2 instead of a d8, you get W/D/L of 72%
/ 11% / 17%). You have made them far better than they used to be.

Just because the dice roll is more random, does not mean that their
effectiveness is more random. The chances of beating your opponents
rolls go up as you increase the dice size. You are making the outcome
less random each time you increase the dice size.

Cheers,

Steve

____________________________
This email (and any attachments) is private and confidential, and is
intended solely for the
addressee. If you have received this communication in error please
remove it and inform us via
telephone or email. Although we take all possible steps to ensure mail
and attachments
are free from malicious content, malware and viruses, we cannot accept
any responsibility
whatsoever for any changes to content outwith our administrative bounds.
The views represented
within this mail are solely the view of the author and do not reflect
the views of the organisation
as a whole.
Graham Technology plc
Registered in Scotland company no. SC143434
Registered Office India of Inchinnan, Renfrewshire, Scotland PA4 9LH

http://www.grahamtechnology.com

Prev: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if? Next: Re: [GZG] [SG3]: What if?