Prev: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Evyn MacDude <infojunky@c...>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 10:18:02 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Nov 17, 2007, at 5:30 AM, Doug Evans wrote:

> You have to be a bit careful with old stock Dwarven Forge. The
> earliest
> sets have a slight, well, huge in my eyes, compatibility problem.
> The first
> set (Starter) had the walls 'on' the tiles, leaving partial tile
> squares
> around the edges, while the later walled set (Passages) had the walls
> offset, so full tiles all around. Alpha set didn't have walls.

That offset is designed in, look at their fantasy line. Room tiles
have the
wall on the tile, hall tiles the wall is outside the tile. And yes I
agree it is
at pain. My other big complaint is the doors they need a tab to lift
them
when they are in place in a layout. I have built nearly as many custom
tiles as I have bought, mostly from plastic with resin bits.

> Doesn't sound like much, until you try to match up walls, and had some
> nasty looking gaps, especially with angled walls.

Yes, that lead me to build my own.

> Haven't seen the Beta set up close, and I see the Starter's are
> 'out of
> stock' at DF. Just be aware if you see them in a bargain bin; make
> sure you
> can buy several copies of one or another just to have enough that fit.

Yes, I have 4 sets each of the basic sets and two of each of the add-on
hall ways, and I still want more.

For scratch building the Grendal scenics, Ainsty hall from Old Crow
work also, but I find their beds to be way over sized.

> Just out of curiosity, have you tried dealing with DF directly?
> These seem
> scarce in stores in the US, though I haven't looked to see if we
> can stock
> it. I think the pricing/discount scheme pretty much says direct only.

Yep, they are direct sales only now.

Evyn MacDude
infojunky@ceecom.net

Don’t let the fans touch your assets.