Prev: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Samuel Penn <sam@g...>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:10:02 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] [Terrain] Dwarven Forge rant Re: Shipboarding'uninvited' [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

On Saturday 17 November 2007 13:30:37 Doug Evans wrote:
> Sam wrote on 11/17/2007 02:47:58 AM:
> > Old Crow (was Ainsty) do some nice SF/Urban walls/floors:
> >
> > http://www.oldcrowmodels.co.uk/aiproducts.htm
> >
> > The best I've found are the SF sets from Dwarven Forge (mostly
because
> > they come pre-painted), however getting hold of these from someone
in
> > the UK these days is almost impossible:
> >
> > http://www.dwarvenforge.com/store/home.php?cat=270
> >
> > Their SF range is small compared to the fantasy ones they do.
>
> You have to be a bit careful with old stock Dwarven Forge. The
earliest
> sets have a slight, well, huge in my eyes, compatibility problem. The
first
> set (Starter) had the walls 'on' the tiles, leaving partial tile
squares
> around the edges, while the later walled set (Passages) had the walls
> offset, so full tiles all around. Alpha set didn't have walls.

I've noticed that, but put it down to different styles of passages
rather than compatibility. There are tiles which connect the wide
passages to the narrow passages.

> Haven't seen the Beta set up close, and I see the Starter's are 'out
of
> stock' at DF. Just be aware if you see them in a bargain bin; make
sure you
> can buy several copies of one or another just to have enough that fit.
>
> With a set at home, and 3-4 store copies of each, no problem for me.

I've got over a dozen boxes of the dungeon sets, which is a nice
amount for fantasy roleplaying. I've only a few starter boxes of the
SF range however, which limits what I can do.

> Just out of curiosity, have you tried dealing with DF directly? These
seem
> scarce in stores in the US, though I haven't looked to see if we can
stock
> it. I think the pricing/discount scheme pretty much says direct only.

I've had bad experiences in ordering stuff from the States, so don't
like to do it, especially for something big and bulky like this.

I have contacted DF to see if they will start shipping their goods to
stores in the UK, and they keep on saying they have plans to do so,
but all the supplies I used to buy from have had no luck in getting
any (despite trying).

--
Be seeing you,			       http://www.glendale.org.uk
Sam.			    Mail/IM (Jabber): sam@glendale.org.uk