Prev: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] New Campaign

Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:12:22 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Well it's been an interesting weekend.

We had a big battle there were 4 players with with about 2500 points of
ships.

The Micro Carrier fleet launched about 27 squadrons of heavy fast attack

fighters. Supported by a missile attack from their allies it was pretty
effective.

The Dalek ships had a defence net of scatter packs (doing the play test
variation of D3 damage against ordnance) supported by escorting robot
fighters. The Heavy fighters burned through the defence net and ripped
the
Dalek fleet apart.

The Daleks gave better than they got though and only about 4 micro
carriers
left the battle zone.

When you can make a mass 13 carrier for <90 points with a persistent
36Mu
range attack weapon you get a lot of them very quickly. Compare that
against
a light cruiser. 2 squadron of fighters would burn through its defence
net
and kill it in one go. In larger games it gets worse. Either the
fighters
attack ships individually forcing them to defend themselves or get eaten

alive or they concentrate.

There's no rules in FT that give fighters / missiles a maximum range
that
they can operate from their mother ship. So carriers can do a dump and
run
attack.

The carriers have to spend at least 3 turns on the table before they can

escape so there is quite a bit of opportunity to kill them, but their
fighters are eating you alive.

We play that all ordnance is replaced at the start of each turn provided

ships are in supply. Cutting off their supply is viable.

I had a big fleet of ships entering from the middle of the table and
other
fleet elements that entered from the edge.

None of our palyers think that any sane individual would volunteer for
the
space fighter core. Not even the year long training regime at resort
hotels
provided by galactic playbeing centerfold models make people want to
enrole
in the 20 seconders.

Without a homocidal attack computer no fighter pilot would go anywhere
near
the enemy.

We have not yet had a battle where the soap bubbles needed to defend a
fixed
point, that is still to be fought.

Prev: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] New Campaign