Prev: Re: [GZG] FMA Quest Next: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 10:26:50 +1000
Subject: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Micro-carriers are ok if you have enough of them (you effectively need 1
fighter for every hull point of the enemy) to have *any* chance of
burning through an ADFC net.  If the target doesn't have ADFC, 6-8
squadrons will kill any ship before needing to rearm (taking 1-3
squadrons of casualties, depending if morale is used).

I would suggest a few tweaks to your campaign:
1. Carriers *must* remain on the table while the launched squadron is
alive, otherwise the fighters will "strike its colours".  (they can ftl
as soon as it dies).
2. Make rules for squadrons to earn "ace" status; being able to
needle-beam ADFC and PDS will give the player options if he wants to
stick with fighter fleets.  It will also encourage him to "stick it out"
to make sure squadrons get away to earn experience.

For yourself, can you "independantly route" some light cruisers to enter
separately?  A cruiser dropping in the middle of the soap bubble fleet
may encourage him to build heavier carriers (or at least provide a
proper escort).  Also, keep a couple of intercepter squadrons in the
carrier for "mop-up" duty after the enemy run out of endurance.

I have found that soap-bubbles don't work in a campaign setting, as for
the cost of expendables + all the bubbles lost, its better to build
decent carriers with a battleline to back it up.  They *are* useful in
providing flexible support to your fleets/bases as you can shift your
fighter assets where you think the next battle will be.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
     for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
     please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
     a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise
stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
     and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails
     of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: Re: [GZG] FMA Quest Next: Re: [GZG] Microcarriers (was: NewCampaign) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]