Prev: RE: [GZG] ship roles Next: Re: [GZG] Big Photo collection of 6mm Battlecars

RE: [GZG]shiproles [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: Ken Hall <khall39@y...>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:21:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [GZG]shiproles [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

distinctions. Another way of thinking about ship roles is at a higher
level of abstraction (ideally, the time to think about this is the time
the ship is designed). What is it you intend to accomplish with your
ship(s)?

  Sweep the enemy's warships from space? Whatever line-of-battle ships
trip your fancy and suit your doctrine.
  Get into his rear echelon (in the strategic sense) and ravage his
lines of supply and communications? Battlecruisers (no expendable
ordnance, please).
  Keep that cloud of Nea Rhomaoi fighters ;-) you expect to face off
your battleline's back? Frigates, destroyers, light/escort cruisers as
Brendan describes (as well as your own fighters)
  Operate for long periods away from home in peace and war, showing the
flag in peacetime (without breaking the budget) and doing any of a dozen
dirty jobs in wartime? This looks like a job for a patrol cruiser,
preferably one that doesn't rely on expendable ordnance for its main
punch.

  These are just my opinions--I hope they are of some use.

  Best regards,
  Ken
  Chief of Naval Operations
  United Stars Navy

"Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@dva.gov.au> wrote:
  "Attack" ships are designed to punch through shields/armour
consistently
over several turns (pulse torpedoes, grazers, K-guns etc)
"Strike" ships tend to be one-shot in nature, with lots of ordinance
(salvo missiles, MT missiles, submunition packs etc)
"Escort" ships emphasise area defence and usually have twice as many PDS
as equivalent ships with several ADFC to "reach out and touch someone".

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/