Prev: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April Next: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

From: Doug Evans <devans@n...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:09:52 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

Allan wrote on 03/23/2007 08:54:24 AM:

> On 3/23/07, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

Much *snippage*

> Isn't the Cairo you're talking about in Illinois?

Prolly; was just thinking 'on the Mississippi'.

> The USS Cairo, a Civil War ironclad that was sunk in the
> Yazoo River,
> is on display at the Vicksburg battlefield park. That's when I first
> heard "Cairo" was pronounced "KAY-ro".
>
> Of course the Indian programmers at my office laugh at Delhi,
> Louisiana being pronounced "DELL-high".

;->= Try getting two English speakers to agree on the pronunciation, or
spelling, of the Capital of the Central Kingdom.

Ok, I've been TOO [OT] for too long. Apologies to all.

Slightly on topic, would ships such as the Kay-ro make good names for FT
'boats', non-FTL, ships?

The_Beast

PS Still no suggestions for after I step off the plane at *gag* John
Wayne
International?

Prev: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April Next: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April