Prev: RE: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April Next: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@h...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:54:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April

On 3/23/07, Doug Evans <devans@nebraska.edu> wrote:

> Course, there's many Nebraska place names shared/borrowed with/from
> elsewhere. Rome, Syracuse, Grand Island, and Cairo, and without NE
behind
> them, I think of Italy, New  York(sorry, Sicily, my minds voice says
> Syracusa), Buffalo NY, and northern Missouri (both pronounce Kay-ro).

Isn't the Cairo you're talking about in Illinois?

The USS Cairo, a Civil War ironclad that was sunk in the Yazoo River,
is on display at the Vicksburg battlefield park. That's when I first
heard "Cairo" was pronounced "KAY-ro".

Of course the Indian programmers at my office laugh at Delhi,
Louisiana being pronounced "DELL-high".

--
Allan Goodall		 http://www.hyperbear.com
agoodall@hyperbear.com

Prev: RE: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April Next: Re: [GZG] OT: Orange County, was Denver in April