Prev: RE: [GZG]FullThrustCampaign(SimonWhite) [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Next: Re: [GZG] [FT] Belt Wars (Was: Seastrike scenarios to Full Thrust???).

Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? (Simon White)

From: "john tailby" <John_Tailby@x...>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:50:35 +1300
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust Playtest? (Simon White)

When playtesting the phrase "I am an avid XXX player" usually destroys
any objectivity that person has about game balance.

The ability of SV ships to fire all their firepower in any arc is
extremely powerful, especially if you allow for a rolling board rather
than artificially restricting the battle to a static table size. Being
able to control the range of the engagement and fire backward out to 48"
is something no other ship can do.

In our group we restricted stinger nodes to 8 power each. We also
allowed SV ships to have Grazer nodes and heavy beam nodes costing more
mass and requiring more power per beam dice generated.

But the general consensus in our group is that the SV ships are boring
to design and play with you trend towards a design of ship which is a
generalised cruiser  drone womb, pod launcher some stinger nodes and
about a 2-2-1 division of the rest of the mass between hull generators
and armour. This is a reflection that the SV seem to have ships that are
generalists rather than the big variations you get in human tech ships.

For larger ships the other option is to make a carrier with 3 drone
wombs, that is about all the effective options.

It's not worth the dead weight to try and put screen nodes in under the
current format.

Grazers are a spectacular weapon under the official rules. The take up
so much mass you get so few dice but occasionally you will get 6 on 6
and do 5 or 6 d6 damage to an enemy ship utterly crippling the vessel. I
think this sticks in the minds of players and assumes a disproportionate
impact in their minds.

Our group are all scarred from massed capitol missiles used by one
player a couple of years ago, that fleet is still talked about rather
like the mythical bogeyman.

With all the full thrust gaming groups taking their rules off in
different directions and the game essentially being open source for so
long is there really any point in publishing new rules mechanisms?
Different gaming groups have taken their version of the game and run
with it so it's not really one game any more but thousands of different
versions.

John