Prev: Re: [GZG] (FT) Painting Comp results Next: Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Day 2.5 - day cycle [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[GZG] [brushfire] Day 2.5 - day cycle [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:34:28 +1000
Subject: [GZG] [brushfire] Day 2.5 - day cycle [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Looks like I was overeager in using 1 day per post to cover the action.
Further reports will be day/night split for the moment.

Also, looks like I've made some subtle mistakes about who is
attacker/defender (most of you probably didn't notice) but I'll clean
those
up as it becomes possible.

****

	The emergency department overflowed from the night's action.
The
steady flow of civilians from stray fire and scattered artillery was
only
interrupted when a wounded soldier (from either side) was brought in and
triaged to surgery.  There was a sudden influx at dawn as the curfew was
lifted and then the doctors got some sleep...

	The heavy platoon continued its combat sweep in the dawning
light;
without the cover of darkness, the Hooligans seemed dis-inclined to duel
with tanks.  After half hour of sweeping, it appeared they had gone to
ground; at least until the road erupted from a shaped charge in the
stormwater system.  The second tank in line flipped lazily through the
air
before landing turtle-like upon its back, while the first came under
sustained missile, IAVR and plasma fire.  "Engage!  Engage!  Fire order
Alpha!" Lt Rider activated his contact plan and mortars began raining in
preset fire pattern around his position.  This barely slowed down the PA
that launched itself from shallow ground scoops to flank the tank
platoon
while it was disorganised.  The effect unarmoured infantry supporting
the
ambush was like a meat grinder.
	The other two tanks powered through the light buildings on
either
side of the road, catching one squad of PA in a surprised pincer move
before
rotating fire from its HKP/3 picked off anything that stopped moving
long
enough to target.  Meanwhile bits kept flying off Lt Rider's tank as the
impacting fire began to toll upon its armour.  Wheels popped and the
hull
sagged as low richochets searched for its weak underbelly, while rifle
fire
ripped at aerials and the exposed SAW.	Firing as fast as the weapon
could
load, Lt Rider traversed his turret until an arching IAVR got through
the
APFC belt and jammed it.  Holding his foot on the firing pedal while
performing damage assessment, he was surprised to see something explode
at
the far end of the tunnel burnt through an entire block of buildings.
Then
he ceased to be surprised at all as his world went white.

	Lt Paulus cursed the integrity of tank armour as he spat orders
the his PA squads and the platoon and a half of light infantry.  The
first
tank had been surprising easy with the amount of explosive detonated
under
it, but the second refused to die and now the other two had bypassed the
blockage and brought him under fire.  The speed with which artillery had
started falling indicated a prepared fire mission, although it was not
accurate enough to cause heavy casualties, yet.
	Sgt Rachel had led her assault team around the flank of the
tanks,
but her luck had run out when the third tank of the platoon had careened
through a building and run her down.  Casualties were starting to mount
and
with no sign of Arrow infantry, it was time to withdraw for a later
assault.
"First platoon, second platoon, scarper.  Assault platoon & support,
cover
them and bog those tanks!"
	With the orders out, thermal smoke from the remaining Hooligan
mortar began falling to cover the retreat.  A brave (or foolhardy)
private
from the second Assault squad physically assaulted the battered lead
tank,
tearing a hatch open to fill it with death when a friendly GMS
ricocheted
off the turret, detonating square on his power supply, filling the
turret
with light.

***
	Sgt Grace was peeved off.  Having lost his GMS, being reduced to
taxi service was galling for a "hero".	Take this here, take that squad
there, pickup that cannister marked with nasty symbols.  Drop off
cannister
with nasty symbols.  Now he was assigned to road recon.  Arrow AFVs had
been
spotted behind the lines and he was supposed to find them.  Not very
exciting and potentially lethal.  Far behind him the sound of explosions
and
supersonic cracks showed the intensity of the fighting.
	Stopping at one of the small villages in the area Sgt Grace paid
for
some refreshments and fell into the casual mode of "tourist".  Within
half
an hour a tanker jogged up the road to meet.  "Grace, good to see you."
Lt
Tunde was not the fittest of officers, but then, when you were a tanker,
physical fitness wasn't high on your list of priorities.  "Got ourselves
squad of three AFVs somewhere back of us.  Couldn't get a shot as they
came
from the northwest, but I reckon you'll see them before long.  When you
do,
punch up a flare and we'll come clean them out."
	"Sure thing, Lt.  I could appreciate more than just me doing
recon
though."
	"Not going to happen.  According to reports we'll be falling
back
soon, so we need to get the road clear.  We've got a few toys to play
with,
so see you later."  With that Lt Tunde headed back.
	Hitting the road again, Grace continued northeast, scanning for
signs of ambush before becoming another statistic.

	"Sabre Two to Sabre One.  SUV sighted with battledamage."
"Sabre
Two, hold and do not engage.  We're after richer pickings."
"Affirmative."

	Sgt Grace pulled over by the roadblock and looked over the
security
detail.  "Clear road all the way.  No enemy encountered."
	A sigh escaped from Lt Arpad, "Means we'll have to sweep on
foot.
They must have gone to ground somewhere."  With that he hitched his
combat
pack and swept out of town at a lope.

***

	"Hudak, this is Atkinson.  I know about the nerve gas.	If you
use
it, all you'll get is a bunch of dead civilians; our vehicles are
gasproofed.  Use of chem weapons will just bring in a NAC PA brigade.
They
want this ground relatively intact, but if there's no-one left alive,
collateral damage won't be a restraining issue."
	"Atkinson, Hudak.  We have no such thing.  You must be talking
of
some dastardly plot cooked up by the NAC to hold the town hostage, you
savages!  By the way, I've filed complaints with the Mercenary Board and
Red
Cross Interstellar about your treatment of the mayor of Queztatol.  See
you
in Kimpo."

	"Mr Money?  So nice to hear from you.  You know, you really
shouldn't have tried to sneak your family out of town.	There are all
sorts
of dispicable types around.  What?  No, I'm afraid we had to detain them
for
their own protection.  I'm sure for a suitable donation, we would be
able to
clear up this... Problem.  Maybe even get you clear of the fighting, or
at
least put you on the winning side.  Ours of course."

***

No special contacts or results notified to each side at this time.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies
http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernsk/

IMPORTANT
1. Before opening any attachments, please check for viruses.
2. This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential
information
   for the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient,
   please contact the sender and delete all copies of this email.
3. Any views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and are
not
   a statement of Australian Government Policy unless otherwise stated.
4. Electronic addresses published in this email are not conspicuous
publications
   and DVA does not consent to the receipt of commercial electronic
messages.
emails

   of this type from DVA.
6. Finally, please do not remove this notice.

Prev: Re: [GZG] (FT) Painting Comp results Next: Re: [GZG] [brushfire] Day 2.5 - day cycle [long] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]