Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions Next: [GZG] [FT] cool ship minis

Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:30:55 +0200
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions

Adam Flynn asked:

>1) Missles, as described in More Thurst, don't appear in the list of
ship
>component icons in Fleet Book 1.

They are listed as "Missiles (MT type)" in the "Mass and Points Cost
Table"
on FB1 p.11, along with the other More Thrust systems (cloaking fields,
reflex fields, ortillery etc.).

>2) Can PDF fire be used to reduce the damage from a submunition
>pack?	After all, these are described as rockets or missiles.

You mean "PDAF" (FT2 system) or "PDS" (FB1 system); "PDF" is an
electronic
file format, not a Full Thrust spaceship component. No, SubMunition
Packs
fire too many missiles for point defences to have any significant effect

against them.

>3) If a ship with an velocity of 7 is making a 1 point turn to
starboard,
>do you round up or down when determining the half-way point of their
>movement to make the turn?

You don't round the movement distance at all, only the course change.

>Essentially, does the turn occur at 3 or 4 inches along their current
>course?  Or does it occur at 3.5 inches?

3.5 inches.

****
John Tailby replied to Jaime Tiempo:

>>As with all things, MT Missiles are something that requires
moderation. If
>>you use 1 or 2 you might was well just aim them off the table. If you
take
>>them in hoards they'll wipe out a fleet if the oposing fleet isn't
design
>>to take them out.
>>
>>Consider a simple purpose built Cruiser.
>>Cost: 270
>>TMF: 80
>>MD: 4
>>Hull: 24
>>FC: 1
>>MT Missiles: 15
>>
>>15 Missiles require 30 PDS to take out.

Not exactly - if you assign 2 PDSs to each Heavy Missile, you will on
average shoot down 75% of them... but the last 25% still get through.

Note however that the original question was about FT2 and MT, *not*
about
the Fleet Book rules. The original FT2 PDAF only hit MT missiles on a
roll
of '6', whereas the Fleet Book PDS hit them on '4' or better.

>>Each missile (if a standard unit) causes on average 7 points of
damage.
>>That's 105 for the salvo.
>>
>>Now in a game of 1500 points, you can take 5 of those, so 75 missiles
>>total, requiring 150 PDS to stop, causing 525 points of damage.
>
>In your maths you have assumed that you can accurately guess the
position
>of the enemy ship with all the missiles and that your damage is spread
>evenly though the enemy fleet.

Jaime also assumes that the defending PDS won't shoot down *any* of the
incoming missiles. That sounds rather pessimistic to me :-/

****
> >Granted that your plotting them all to hit the same target and they
> >actually do.. With 1500 points, I am sure there is a DD or FF there
that
> people
> >use to soak up suck salvo missile bombardment..
>
>Spread them out.

If you spread the MT missiles out enough to avoid risk overkilling small

enemy escorts you virtually guarantee that some of your missiles will
miss
completely, and if the enemy doesn't have ADFCs on all ships you also
maximise the number of defending PDSs. (If the enemy ships all have
ADFCs
they'll get to fire all their PDSs regardless of whether or not your
missiles are spread out, of course.)

>If you go whole hog into MT missiles you should be able
>to whipe out just about all of the opposing fleet.

Soon after I bought MT, my local opponents at the time believed in this
theory too. They reconsidered after a series of battles where their
missile
boats failed to inflict a single damage point on my beam-armed ships :-/

The updated Heavy Missiles are quite a bit harder to outmanoeuvre than
the
More Thrust version was, but no harder to outrun and easier to shoot
down.

>Best defence I've come up with is screening a bunch of banzai jammers a
>good way ahead of the fleet with fighters then following the missiles
in.

The best defence against MT/Heavy missiles launched from long range is
turn away and outrun them. If the missiles launch from *close* range,
you
want your BJs tucked in as close as possible to your real warships.

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [GZG] Re: Full Thrust 2 questions Next: [GZG] [FT] cool ship minis