Prev: Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Re: Anyone out there??? Is this puppy up? Call me bad...

Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

From: "Jaime Tiampo" <fugugaipan@s...>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:08:16 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

> By the way, I seem to be having trouble with my sign on to the forum;
> don't
> think I got an email reply-to-confirm.

I'm looking into that. It's an odd issue since the base program and the
signup has been tested in the past. It might be one of the many email
bounces that I'm receiving in my inbox right now (you get that when you
run a lot of forums)

As a reply to the Forum vs List debate.

Yearts ago I was quite the active member on this list, and at one point
was on SOOO many lists (almost 3 dozen) (by product of a volunteer
position I took on) that I had to stop receiving this one just to cut
down
the traffic. Now it was a big loos since I couldn't keep up with the
community.

What would have saved me was having all the major discussion lists I was
on as forums. Being someone who is considered an "old timer" when it
comes
to the Internet I still prefer forums for things like this list. It's
far
more concise, easy to use, organised, searchable, and moderatable. It's
more accessable for the new person to join and browse what has been
discussed.

The major drawback being that it needs critical mass to operate. Email
lists can get by complete dry spells untill someone pops a mail out, but
forums needs to be active to survive. Once trafic drops below a
threshold
the communitee stops going there.

Now something I have noticed in my rejuvinated interest in GZG games is
that a lot of my old links, and those on pages that are still up run by
the community are dead. It's quite a loss since I used some of those
pages
quite a bit for reference. Like the FT Java shipbuilder app. Now I MAY
have a backup copy I d/l somewhere at home but it's something I miss.

The lists archives are also a pain to search through relative to a forum
which means I'm missing out on some new rule/constuction ideas. In a
forum
you could even stiky the final versions of things like this.

Now I'm just rambling a bit. Email lists are a valuable tool, but in
what
the list is here to do a forum does much better, though it does need the
support of the core community to get going.

Jaime