Prev: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

From: wscottfield@c...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:51:27 +0000
Subject: Re: [LST] Mail list vs. Forums

Just to offer a different viewpoint: for the occasional reader like
myself forums are sometimes easier to keep up with, because it's easier
to sort out the threads you're interested in. Yes, I know it's not
really *that* hard to skim down the digest past the parts that don't
interest me. But on a busy day, if it looks like the digest is mostly
full of SG2 posts (great game, I just don't have time to play it) then I
may not take the time to sort out the 2 or 3 interesting FT posts.  (Not
that I have much time to play FT either, but...)  And if I want to go
back and catch up on a thread that I missed, a forum is often easier
than scanning email archives.

Another advantage forums have over mailing lists is that some people are
hesitant about sending their email address out to people they don't
know.

Also, some forums have the ability to email thread content (either
individually or in digest) to subscribers, if you don't want to check
the site regularly.

Personally, I'm fine either way.  And as infrequently as I post anymore,
no one should make decisions based on my personal preferences either
way. I'm just saying.

From: Peter Thoenen <eol1@yahoo.com>
> Ja I know I will never look at it.  I can see how it would be required
> from a marketting stand point (lets all admit it, its a generational
> thing.  Upcoming markets (ala children) want forums, IM, mod'ing, and
> threads.  Email and mailing lists are for us old fogies ;)

Wow!  Been awhile since I was called too *young* for anything,
especially anything computer related - thanks! ;-)

Scott "Forty Years Young" Field

Prev: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums Next: Re: [GZG] [LST] Mail list vs. Forums