Prev: RE: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?) Next: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

From: John K Lerchey <lerchey@a...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 14:34:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Critical hits (was Limits on armour?)

Well, one other option to the attrition system would be what starmada
does.  Roll a damage die for each "hit" and kill off systems.  More
attritive (is that a word?) than FT, more predictable (every damage
point
kills *some* system), but not reaonable for ships with as large a damage

track as is avialable for FT ships. And, quite frankly, it would no
longer
feel like FT.

While FT's attrition system can be frustrating:

- threshold checks only after full rows are killed...
- threshold checks end up with random results (good dice, little or no
   systems damaged, bad dice, the whole ship can become
disfunctional)...

It *is* rather unique to this game, and since all ships have to do it,
it's reasonabley balanced.  Adding criticals, IMHO, would he hard to do.

The idea of "for any individual weapon that scores 6 points" just begs
not amass dice.  I like amassing dice.	Given that there are different
kinds of D6 results, and that some weapons have special effects (needle
beams, for example) makes it even harder.

I consider it to be a "critical hit" when I blow a pile of threshold
rolls
and watch my ship fall apart. ;)

John K. Lerchey
Assistant Director for Incident Response
Information Security Office
Carnegie Mellon University