Prev: Re: Revised Missiles (long) was Re: [GZG] Heavy missile questions. Next: RE: [GZG]Heavymissilequestions. [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

[GZG] Heavy missile questions.

From: Robert N Bryett <rbryett@m...>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 14:38:47 +1000
Subject: [GZG] Heavy missile questions.

Thanks for the interesting responses.

As I said in my original note, we're working with 2.5, and I'm just
trying to resolve the issues arising from the collective amnesia
about heavy missiles that apparently afflicted FT between MT and FB1 :)

launching a couple of Exocets instead of the "six HUNDRED missiles"
that Weber is enamoured of.<<<<

Heh... I think David Weber puts an extra zero or two on the end of
every number, whether it's vessel length, fleet size, missile salvos
or whatever. We have no intention of trying to simulate the "HH
Hailstorm (TM)" of missiles; it's just the idea of long range heavy
missiles that seems to have fired my young captains' imagination.

mysite.verizon.net/laserlight/ft/if.htm help<<<<

They are definitely helpful. If this is the likely FT3 direction, I
think that's what we'll go with, but on first reading:

1. The movement system makes sense, giving the missile the "element
of surprise" in its launch move, but allowing fighter interception
thereafter.

2. The EMP warhead version seems pointless. With only one endurance
point, it presumably has a range of 18mu, while costing 2 mass and 6
points. A Class 2 EMP Beam battery apparently costs the same, has a
longer range, has higher damage potential with re-rolls, AND can fire
more than once per game. Or am I missing something?

It also seems a pity that the "EMP Beam mechanism" makes PDS immune
from damage. I was toying with the idea of using EMP warheads as ARMs
to push back a target's point defence, but that is obviously
precluded. We haven't played with EMP weapons yet, but making anti-
ship weapon FCS vulnerable to EMP while the FCS built into PDS is
immune seems a bit arbitrary and "gamey".

3. We haven't played any of the alien races yet, so maybe I'm missing
something, but I'm not generally keen on one-shot guaranteed-kill
weapons such as the Kra'Vak Scattergun PDS appears to be against an
incoming missile. On the other hand, those Scatterguns *are* single-
shot weapons, so it might be tactically interesting to burn them off
with salvos of missiles before attacking with fighters. I'm not sure
how easy it would be actually to hit a KV ship in the first place
though....

4. The Misericorde version could ruin your whole day :)

Best regards, Robert Bryett
rbryett@mail.com