Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness

Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Oerjan Ariander <oerjan.ariander@t...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:06:30 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

John Atkinson wrote:

> >Basically, this match-up hinges on how many missile boats the SDN can
> >cripple before the boats get into missile launch range. [...] Given
the
> >fragility of a missile boat - eg., on the design you posted even the
first
> >damage point inflicted has a 30% chance of neutering the boat by
damaging
> >either or both of the FCS and the SMR - and the amount of firepower
that
> >SDN can put out even at ranges >24mu, that is seriously bad news for
the
> >missile boats.
>
>???  4 beam dice, 3 pulse torps that have a 1 in 6 chance of hitting.
>That's not exactally overwhelming.

Not in a single turn, no - but when each of those beam die has something

like 20% chance of knocking a missile boat out, and a pair of beam dice
more like 70%, even that firepower whittles down the missile swarm
surprisingly fast. It gets even worse inside range 24, of course. Been
there, done that several times over.

> >Of course, as Laserlight wrote the outcome of this battle depends
heavily
> >on the set-up. If the starting range and/or the initial velocities
are too
> >low, the SDN won't be able to shape its vector appropriately before
the
> >missile boats range on it - but if the SDN's captain has allowed 30+
> >unidentified ships to get that close without even beginning to do
something
> >about it, I'd say he deserves to lose his ship!
>
>True.	And a lot of that goes into campaign assumptions--specifically,
>the range at which the SDN captain can spot 30+ bogies.

Yep. But when active sensors have a 54mu *identification* range (FT2
p.21),
detection range is likely to be longer than that... and detection cuts
both
ways: the missile boats can't begin to shape their vector either until
they
detect the SDN.

> >Basic premises are reasonably OK - though note that neither torpedoes
nor
> >SSMs/ASMs are necessarily single-hit-kill systems against today's
warships!

>To be fair, SSMs or ASM may not sink a ship, but they will very likely
>mission kill them.

Depends on the exact type of missile we're talking about. The bigger
modern
ones most likely will, that's true.

> >...but in Full Thrust even a tiny B1 battery can damage a
> superdreadnought - and a
> >lot of B1s can destroy an SDN with a hundred tiny cuts. This fact
alone
> >severely upsets comparisons between Full Thrust and historical
wet-navy
> fleets.
>
>You need a LOT of B1s, and I wouldn't want to try it with real human
>beings under my command.

Sure, I need a lot of B1s to kill an SDN, and the swarm will most likely

take massive casualties (unless the SDN screws up badly so all those B1s

manage to get into close range very quickly). If the alternative is to
lose
a planet/critical shipyard/insert high-value strategic target of your
choice, even real-world armed forces would go into such a battle.
Cornered
rats, backs against the wall, desperate last stands, and all that.

The point is that since the small Full Thrust ships *can* damage and
even
destroy SDNs, there is a finite balance point between these two types of

ship which the tactical points system can measure. The tactical points
system does not care about the morality of sending a swarm of tiny ships
near-certain death (that's a campaign issue, not a tactical one); all it

cares about in this match-up is how many B1-armed scoutships it takes to

get a ~50% chance of destroying the SDN before all the scouts have been
destroyed.

FWIW I have seen some campaign systems which did take crew casualty
rates
into account in various ways - some iterations of StarFire, for example.

(It was pretty difficult to build more ships than you could find crews
for,
but I vividly remember occasions where I couldn't man the ground forces
necessary to maintain control over conquered planets :-( )

Regards,

Oerjan
oerjan.ariander@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] Ship point values and effectiveness