Prev: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding Next: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: damosan@c...
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 21:06:10 +0000
Subject: Re: Re: [GZG] John's Shipbuilding

From: Ian Downing <iandowning112@yahoo.co.uk>

> The RN ships had no  chance of winning...

It depends on how you define "winning."  Winning and losing are defined
by the mission (scenario) at hand and the backstory to date.  Is winning
always about the total defeat of the enemy?  Probably not.

John mentioned mission motivation which, I think, is a better way of
dealing with morale in a ship to ship game.  We're not talking about
modeling the morale of Ship's Cook 4th Class Jones but the command
staff.

If the weaker force has a High mission motivation then I can see them
willing to take the hits.  If, on the other hand, they have a low
motivation then they make take a few paint scratching hits and decide to
bail.

How popular would Admirals/Captains be today if they burned ships like
we FT players do?

--
Damo

--NextPart_Webmail_9m3u9jl4l_7404_1137531970_1

--0-17956130-1137531333=:57865

But how would morale rules cope with situations such as the Glowworm v
Hipper, Jervis Bay v Scheer, Rawalpindi V Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. The
RN ships had no chance of winning, only the Glowworm got some return on
her sacrifice by damaging the Hipper so she required several months
dockyard repairs. So how would you model this in FT?
  Ian

  From: John Tailby

> Would introducing a morale system into FT be worthwhile?

I'd be all for this as an add-on rule. You can get into a few hairy
situations though: once morale cracks will the ship try to run away?
Jump out? Surrender to the opposing side?

--
Damo

---------------------------------
To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new
Yahoo! Security Centre.
--0-17956130-1137531333=:57865

<DIV>But how would morale rules cope with situations such as the
Glowworm v Hipper, Jervis Bay v Scheer, Rawalpindi V Scharnhorst and
Gneisenau. The RN&nbsp;ships had no chance of winning, only the Glowworm
got some return on her sacrifice by damaging the Hipper so she required
several months dockyard repairs. So how would you&nbsp;model this in
FT?</DIV>  <DIV>Ian<BR><BR><B><I>damosan@comcast.net</I></B>
wrote:</DIV>  <BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px;
MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid">From: John Tailby
<JOHN_TAILBY@XTRA.CO.NZ><BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Would introducing a morale
system into FT be worthwhile? <BR>&gt; <BR><BR>I'd be all for this as an
add-on rule. You can get into a few hairy situations though: once morale
cracks will the ship try to run away? Jump out? Surrender to the
opposing
______<BR>Gzg-l mailing

list<BR>Gzg-l@lists.csua.berkeley.edu<BR>http://lists.csua.berkeley.edu/
mailman/listinfo/gzg-l<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>  <DIV><BR></DIV><p>
		<hr size=1><font face="Arial" size="2">To help you stay
safe and secure online, we've developed the all new <a
href="http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centre/*h