Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

Re: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

From: Brian B <brianbinor@g...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:03:10 -0800
Subject: Re: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....

On 1/6/06, Indy <indy.kochte@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/6/06, wscottfield@comcast.net <wscottfield@comcast.net > wrote:
> > Brian B wrote:
> >
> > > The question becomnes, what if someone(s) WANT to be able to
> > > turn/thrust/turn, and consider it UNFUN if they can't.
> >
> > :shrug:  That's what house rules are for.  Simply remove that
restriction
> and re-design all your ships for single-arc vector fire.
>
>  You know, the obvious flip-side response is:
>
>  Q: "What if someone DOESN"T want to do turn/thrust/turn and considers
it
> unfun if others do?"
>
>   R: ":shrug: That's what house rules are for. SImply invoke that
> restriction (etc)"
>
>  :-)
>
>  M 'devils advocate' k

Thanks for reinforcing my point and sdating it better than I could --
the simple fact is that any time the rule chooses to sacrifice realism
for fun, the question becomes "Whose definition of fun?"

Part of the problem with ANY movement system is that in a turn-based
game, the positions of ships relative to each other at the beginning
and end of movement is easy to determine, but the question of where
everyone is in relationship to each other at any point in time between
those two points is a little more nebulous, because we're moving ships
one at a time to simulate movement that in real life all happens at
the same time.	One solution I'm pondering is the idea of allowing
rotating thrusting, and firing of weapons to be allowed in any order.
Fire missions would be written into the orders the same way that
thrust or rotation are.  Each Firecon system would be given a specific
order, and there would be two types of order:  Target ship X with
weapon(s)Y, or Reaction Fire (Opportunity fire, etc.).	There would be
a couple of limitations:

1. When any specific ship carries out its orders, if the target
specified in a fire mission is out of the range/arc, then a firing
solution was unobtainable, and that weapon/Firecon cannot be fired
that turn.
2. Opportunity/Reaction fire can be executed at any time druing the
game turn, including after the ship has finished its own orders, but
only against ships that have themselves carried out their orders or
are in the middle of doing so.

And there are some possible additions to those two rules:  In
situation 1, a weapon committed to a fire mission against a specific
target might be allowed to fire on that target if that target enters
the weapon's arc/range at any time during the turn, not just when the
firing ship moves.  In situation 2, you may want to reduce the
accuracy of reaction fire as opposed to dedicated fire missions.

Prev: [GZG] Re: [OFFICIAL] Question to you all..... Next: Subject: Re: [GZG] [OFFICIAL] Question to you all.....