Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

From: Warbeads@a...
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:29:02 EST
Subject: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault

In a message dated 11/24/05 12:29:24 PM Central Standard Time,
maserati@speakeasy.net writes:

Oerjan	Ariander wrote:

> You were talking about ARMOURED support above.  Generally speaking,
> trucks and helos aren't considered to be  "armoured support" -
although
> I've noticed that the US Army now calls  a platoon of 4xM1114 armoured

> HumVees a "motorized tank platoon", so  maybe the requirements to
count
> as "armoured" are being softened  nowadays <g>

A "motorized tank platoon" ? Now I've heard  everything.Well, if adding
HumVees to a leg unit makes them motorized then  I suppose using them in

an armor role makes the tank platoon motorized	too.

But if they can stand up to heavy MG fire, then against anything  but
real tanks they can do the armor job. It makes my brain hurt, but I
think this is actually pretty clever.

--
<snip>

Correct me if I'm wrong but pre-1939 were the use of organic  (Integral
not
bio-creations) trucks enough to qualify the units as  'motorized'?  Ands
the
original purpose of WW1 tanks was that they were  designed to overcome
the MG's
and barbed wire delaying the advance of infantry  over rough terrain
(when
some genius turned field artillery on tanks there was a  moment when the
tank
designers went, "Oh Shit" but that's another  thread).

Any chopper support is appreciated by the infantry although a Huey
makes a
less lasting support vehicle then a Cobra (and yada-yada-yada as to
gunship
types and derivations).

Gracias,

Glenn  "warbeads"

Prev: RE: Re: [GZG] A planetary assault as a wargames campaign Next: Re: [GZG] Small thought re: Orbital Assault