Prev: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

From: "David Rodemaker" <dar@h...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:02:06 -0600
Subject: RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

>Somehow I would like to have the possibility of those convoy attacks,
>but the most important thing for me is to find out what the players
>want. If they don't care for resource trucking I'll have no problem in
>finding another system that works out, even if it means only having
>battles to think of.

One fundamental problem of this sort of campaign system is that the side
that starts winning tends to keep winning - it gets more planets, has
more resources, builds more ships and wins more battles, and several
turns before the game ends it's clear who's going to win. Backstabbing
and mutable alliances seem to be the only way round this that I've
encountered.

---

Though not as "sexy" as the "build lots of ships" flavor of game, one
way to
control this is to make building ships far, far more difficult that
repairing them. This also brings about a more "realistic" style of play
that
inhibits the fight to the death syndrome found in many players.

Balancing resource management vs. playability is always a pain.

DAR

Prev: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions