Prev: RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: Re: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

From: Claus Paludan <cpaludan@t...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 22:17:29 +0100
Subject: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:42:31PM +0100, Claus Paludan wrote:
>

> I don't know what your programming skills are like, but I've found the
> GD library is very good for pasting bitmaps on top of other bitmaps...
> it's easily accessible from C, Perl or Ruby, probably among others.

Hmm no skills in graphics progamming. These days most of my time are
spent making intranet systems in java/websphere/db2 + mainframe. My
sparetime is all php/apache/mysql and the occasional shell script to
make my life easier ;)

> One fundamental problem of this sort of campaign system is that the
side
> that starts winning tends to keep winning - it gets more planets, has
> more resources, builds more ships and wins more battles, and several
> turns before the game ends it's clear who's going to win. Backstabbing
> and mutable alliances seem to be the only way round this that I've
> encountered.

Yes, this is a problem we will have to decide on how to handle. It
somewhat depends on whether they want at campaign with a set goal or
they are more willing to have a "world" to play in. The first makes it
possible quite fast to determine who wins, the latter would allow me to
introduce more RPG elements that could tip balances.

I don't even know how many players I will have. There's potential for up

to 9 players at the moment 2 FSE, 2 UNSC, 1 ESU, 1 NAC, 1 NSL, 1 Kra'Vak

  and one player who resently moved to Denmark - he has several fleets,
but I don't know which ones.. If all want's to play I will probaly go
abstract in many places to help ease running the campaign. The fewer
players (and depending a bit on which players) more RPG and narrative
and detail can be added.

--
With kind regards
Claus Paludan

W-site : http://www.krigsspil.dk - Danish Miniature Wargaming Society
MSN : claus_paludan [at] hotmail.com

Prev: RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: Re: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions