Prev: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

From: Roger Burton West <roger@f...>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 20:51:48 +0000
Subject: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions

On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 09:42:31PM +0100, Claus Paludan wrote:

>In this respect I will still go for the approach taken by Roger and
Paul
>, besides that the players will be from my own club, from another club
>as well as perhaps another friend living some distance from us all. So
>there will be no board as such for people to watch at besides the one I

>will make for them (probably in The Gimp or something).

I don't know what your programming skills are like, but I've found the
GD library is very good for pasting bitmaps on top of other bitmaps...
it's easily accessible from C, Perl or Ruby, probably among others.

>Somehow I would like to have the possibility of those convoy attacks,
>but the most important thing for me is to find out what the players
>want. If they don't care for resource trucking I'll have no problem in
>finding another system that works out, even if it means only having
>battles to think of.

One fundamental problem of this sort of campaign system is that the side
that starts winning tends to keep winning - it gets more planets, has
more resources, builds more ships and wins more battles, and several
turns before the game ends it's clear who's going to win. Backstabbing
and mutable alliances seem to be the only way round this that I've
encountered.

Roger

Prev: Re: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions Next: RE: [GZG] First go at a campaign - some questions