Prev: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players Next: Re: [GZG] A FT question asked by 1 of our Junior players today

[GZG] UNSC Flag + Other Stuff

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 11:19:47 -0400
Subject: [GZG] UNSC Flag + Other Stuff

1. John L, thanks muchly. Your answer is fine. Some folk will like that
the OU made the
big list. Others will point out the NI invented Jump Drive.... :)  Great
reason for
further wars. Though I did like the idea of using the astronomical
symbol for terra, the
cross with the circle around it. It has that old Traveller "Solomani"
feel. And
laserlight's description was great "light blue field with a white
crosshair on it".

2. Playtest stuff. Oerjan may have a short term answer. I've made some
suggestions to the
test list about setting up some kind of marshalling point for this data.
We'd obviously
prefer plain text format. That makes tables a bit of a pain, so HTML
would probably work
too. Further down the list of prefs for format would be PDF or Word.
There may be others.
No graphics, if avoidable. You can't attach stuff on either of the
lists. Anyway, I'll let
Oerjan or one of the other big brains say where they want the stuff for
now, but in the
long run it'd be nice to have a web-board or something that had a
depository and let users
dump attachments up for the test list (we'll see what we figure out or
have access to).
Note, zip files and any other executable format is always treated
suspiciously. We have
some folk that use a kill on sight order for these.

3. SG2 Phalons: Allan, NO LINK, buddy! I told you I owe you a playtest.
My Phalons are
actually *at my painters* as we speak, so within the coming quarter,
you'll get one or
more playtests from me. Others should get in on the act. It's a chance
to get some ground
pounder stuff done, until FMA Skirmish solidifies, and with Jon flogging
ahead on FT3, he
only gets FMAS stuff done as his muse distracts him from the more
important FT3. Like it
or lump it, the SG players have the best and most workable rule system
(and no points to
argue about!) of the lot, needing the least revision, so our best hope
for new content is
alien rules to cover Phalons, Ptaah, Kravak and Savasku. So getting
these playtested is
pretty important too, over the medium term. For now, FT is the priority.

4. Landing: Note that streamling in the game may come with *landing
gear*. No reason for
unstreamlined ships built in orbital slips to have any or even be
designed to cope with
that. So it might not *just* be an aerodynamic control systems thing. As
someone pointed
out, with enough thrust, you can fly a brick. But if that brick is like
a glass vase that
tips over and shatters when it lands because it has no landing struts or
gear or if it
collapses upon itself due to not handling atmospheric stresses....
that's not good. Though
streamlining in the game always seemed waaaay overpriced for what it
does in any combat
game.... (That could just be an NPV/CPV issue).

TomB