Prev: Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn Next: Re: CNN.com - Report: Air Force seeks Bush nod for space weapons - May 18, 2...

Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

From: Scott Siebold <gamers@a...>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 00:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [FT] Weapons Cost for firing every other turn

>There is historical precedent for losing one gun out
of a turret, too.

The French four gun turreted battleships and
battlecruisers actually
Had armor that separated the turret into 2 by 2 guns.
I have no idea
of the layout of the British King George V four gun
turrets.

>The main reason for having a turret (as opposed to a
casement) is to
>give the gun a wider arc under which it can rotate.

Disagree with you on this one. As guns got bigger the
technology
of the turret fell behind. The casement (1865 onward)
allowed
 for bigger guns on a ship but it was dropped as soon
as
 turret technology caught up due to:
-the need for overhead cover (plunging fire) as some
navies
 used open casements to maximize elevation (range)
-can bring all guns in turret on target (sort of your
answer)
 as opposed to one gun per casement
Note that I am referring to the primary guns on the
battleships.
Secondary guns on battleships and on some Cruisers
were
casemented as late as the 1920’s.