Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada

Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:48:01 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada

> >Okay...now you take as many 1 hull, firecon, t-4,  Beam-4 ships as
you can
> fit in those 6000 points.  Don't have the books handy but it's got to
be
> over 100.
>
> I get 93 points/ea if you include FTL, so about 64 ships for 6000pts.
> I've played games like that, and had it be rather more even than the
> massed-fighters deal.  OTOH, if you make it Beam 4 and Thrust 8, that
gets
> ugly.

    How about making them 3 x beam 1, thrust 6 and 1 point of armor?
Then
  they're 35 points each.  Complement them with some with 1 ER SMR and 1
beam 1
  for 47 points each (remove 2 beam 1 and the armor).  That's 100 of the
first
  and 53 of the second.  Build your fleet up to speed 30 and overrun the
other
  guy.	The force has 353 beam 1's and 53 extended range salvo missiles.

  Against most fleets, you'll beat him just because he doesn't have
enough fire
  controls to target your ships.  Nova Cannon and Wave Guns are
potentially
  nasty though, but I'd bet on the little ships myself.  Even heavy
fighter
  users are going to fall to this one, because each ship has a
anti-fighter
  weapon in the beam 1's.  You'll attrit the fighters away while the
salvo
  missiles kill the carriers.

    It's probably not possible to design a points system that doesn't
fall to
  the "fuzzy wuzzy" problem at the low end and/or the invulnerable
killing
  machine on the upper end.

   grant

Prev: Re: Fighters....Re: Full Thrust vs Starmada Next: Fighters was -RE: Full Thrust vs Starmada