Prev: Re: A remark no longer very much to do with Naval Architecture Next: [OFFICIAL] New ESU ships: NAMING HELP REQUEST!

AAR: NSL vs (Vins) IJN

From: Inire <inire@y...>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:58:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: AAR: NSL vs (Vins) IJN

greetings-

having had some less than enjoyable goes at the NSL
with the IJSF/IJN ships as-read in the playtest pdf
from last year or so, i decided to try p-torps and
various mods to increase combat endurance and
survivability. Recently, however, I found that someone
had already done the
work(http://www.geocities.com/vinsfullthrust/IJN.html),
so I elected to playtest his vision of a durable IJSF.

What follows is a thumbnail of the event, played
041505 in Tucson, AZ, in the Fort Fearnow Shipyard
Simulation Tank.

Layout: 2500 pts/side. IJSF chose 2x Arashi, Mogami,
Kesshi, Samurai, Ronin, Yamato and Musashi, as-written
on Vin's site above. NSL chose 12 ships (flagged by a
St. 'I' and a Maria von B).
placed 40" apart, facing, v=4mu, using vector.

Turn One found Task Force Hayabusa exchanging fire
with NSL from B3s; minimal results. First move was to
seperate force to bracket NSL. NSL moved forward,
essentially line-abreast. Turn Two gave both sides the
chance to engage with ptorps and B3s: NSL Frigate and
Arashi Yellow take fire. Both roll first thresholds:
Arashi Yellow loses B1 and ptorp.
Turn Three B2s coming online with spread of all ships
in covering ptorp arcs for all ships. Kesshi takes
heavy fire, rolls for first 2 thresholds, Arashi Green
rolls to first threshold, and Ronin engages frigate
and DD escort of NSL St.'I'. DD succumbs to fire
(after cascading re-rolls).
Turn Four has IJSF engaging Maria von B and escorts
with Arashi's, Mogami, Ronin and engaging St 'I' group
with Kesshi, Musashi and Yamato. Arashi Yellow and
Ronin succumb, but succeed in taking out 1 escort
completely and savagely lighting two others. Mogami
and Arashi Green are severely battered but maintain
half thrust, some weapons and at least 1 FC after
thresholds rolled. Arashi Green is at the line of NSL,
Mogami just short. Kesshi eliminates another two
escorts as Yamato and Musashi concentrate fire on St..
'I'. Kesshi hammered by St 'I'.
NSL player wants to call game at this point, IJSF
player petitions for one more turn, sensing that St'I'
may fall as Yanato and Musashi have minimal damage,
full weapons and are in prime range. NSL player
accedes; play through turn five.
Turn Five: Only NSL fighter group intercepts Kesshi
and savages it. Mogami plows into SM barrage, takes
two missiles for 10 pts of damage; overkilled by
3.Arashi Green lacks FC after threshold check: beats
feet. Kesshi gambls on ptorp with remaining FC: does 4
damage to St I, on board edge. Yamato and Musashi
cocentrate fire primarly on St i; at game end, Yamato
rols for first threshold and St'I' is 5 pts away from
dead. Musashi is fully operational with 5 pts away
from first threshold.

with all losses tallied using CPV, NSL ekes out a 13%
win over IJSF (IIRC, 1967:NSL, 1601:IJSF left on
board. IJSF concedes marginal NSL win.

Conclusion: SMs do really suck, esp when PDS is used
effectively. Screens on VinMod IJSF are indespensible,
as are the PTs. Would gladly run a bunch of Mogamis
against a mixed force of NSL in the future to see what
happened.
Things to try: Greater punch to the Ronin mix. Use
fighters as deep strikers to break up NSL fleet.
Concentrate fire earlier on capital ships for greater
psiwar effect on NSL player (Scott _hates_ to see any
of his ships die, but he loses focus almost entirely
when anything bigger than a PC succumbs).

Thanks, Vin, for some fun ships to play. These will
become my standard IJSF ships to build on. Will
consider adding HDC to DN/SDN in future, but armour is
very satisfactory as-is.

and I want to try the fighter option of landing on
enemy ships and beating them up there, though I think
the PDS _should_ be allowed to 'backscratch' friendly
ships, though possibly damaging friendlies as per B1.

Jeff "My dice hate me!" Fearnow
Gaming to keep War out of RealTime!

"'DESTROY THE WITNESSES!!. Chaffing aside, I have no answer: I Excrete
Sour Cream!" www.wigu.com, 29 Jan 2003

XT350/DOD#1890

AND don't forget: Serenity releases 30 September!

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide