Prev: Re: New ships! Next: Re: New ships!

OUDF ships

From: "Phillip Atcliffe" <atcliffe@p...>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 16:23:05 +0100
Subject: OUDF ships

Alan Brain asked for:
>> A rationalisation of the OU situation. Eureka doesn't carry frigates:
GZG doesn't carry lt carriers.Yes, I know there's some history there. <

> Ground Zero Games wrote in response:
> Oerjan has just designed a very nice BC and a BB for the OUDF, which
we'll have in production very soon - watch this space! <

Oo, oo, wanna see, wanna see... First the ESU stuff, and now _this!_
Been reading "How To Make Your Customers Frenzied With Impatience In 10
E-mails Or Less", Jon? <g>

> Nic's never been happy with the quality of the FF mini (yes, it WAS a
"quickie" conversion of a cut-down DD), but no-one who has bought any
from us has ever complained about them to my knowledge.... personally I
think they're fine. <

I have to agree. Given the basic shape of the OU stuff, making the FF a
cut-down DD makes perfect sense. Allows for rapid production of either
hull if required, too, which fits in neatly with Alan's modular design
concepts. I can see a small power like the OU doing this for the
flexibility that it gives. The ships may not look like much, but they're
there with their weapons when needed, and that's the important point.

> The odd thing is that his reason for not sending us the CVL was that
he was thought that was a bit rough too, though he still produces it....
 :-/ <

And, FWIW, delivers it almost as quickly as GZG, even to an address in
the UK, so the Aus-UK wormhole goes in both directions. Don't know what
Nic thinks is wrong with the CVL design; in fact, I wish that he'd use
it as the basis for an even bigger carrier -- a "trimaran" with a hangar
pod on either side. Maybe that could be the CVL design, and the current
mini could become a CVE; the latter looks a bit small compared with
other CVLs.

> Maybe we'll just have to do a new CVL based on Oerjan's BC/BB parts. <

Great! I kind of like the trimaran idea, as it's very Polynesian in feel
-- just the sort of thing the OU would go in for -- so I'd suggest that
as a basis. BB/BC hull with "outrigger" hangar pods on either side.

Glad to see the OU getting some attention. I was worried that they'd be
forgotten in the enthusiasm for FCT and the like -- which I do not
share.

Phil
----
Gravity is a Downer... So let's go flying!
  -- so sayeth Phil Atcliffe (atcliffe@perdicas.fsnet.co.uk)

Prev: Re: New ships! Next: Re: New ships!