Prev: Re: [VVerse] Trickier FTL gates Next: Re: [VV] Gate Defense

Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

From: "laserlight@q..." <laserlight@quixnet.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:21:58 -0500
Subject: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

>Landis taxonomy: http://www.projectrho.com/stardrv.txt
>In fact most of that site is good fuel for discussion... and I'm not
just saying that because he links to me. :-)

Let's look at some different parameters:
1. Tech level required to build
2. Cost to build
3. Fixed location or ship-mounted
4. Cost to use
5. Speed of transit
6. Flexibility of entry point (ie can you go in anywhere you wish)
7. Flexibiliy of exit point (ie can you come out anywhere, or any gate,
or
only one gate)
8. Volume/mass limits
9. Time required before jump (eg to calculate the jump, or warm up the
Balonium Drive)
10. Time required after jump (eg to recover from Jump Shock)
11. Safety Probability (ie likelihood of accident)
12. Safety Magnitude (ie does it just take your FTL offline or does the
ship blow up)
13. Signature (ie can FTLing ships be detected)

http://mail2web.com/ .

Prev: Re: [VVerse] Trickier FTL gates Next: Re: [VV] Gate Defense