Prev: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL Next: Re: [VV] Vectorverse FTL

Re: [VVerse] Trickier FTL gates

From: "Grant A. Ladue" <ladue@c...>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 13:14:56 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [VVerse] Trickier FTL gates

  There's a bunch of wonderful defense ideas here.  Thing is, if you
build
 defenses like this and I'm the opponent, I build my much smaller,
cheaper
 mobile fleet and launch periodic minor attacks.  Then I just wait for
the
 cost of maintenance and staffing to bankrupt your government and move
in after
 your civilization has collapsed.  Sure, you can build *something* that
can't
 be beat, given near infinite resources and time.  Where do you get
infinite
 resources and time though?  The Magninot Line *could* have been
extended to
 the coast and probably would have worked.  If Germany doesn't attack
for the
 next 25 years though, you've just built the biggest boondoggle of all
time!
 Eventually Germany just *buys* the bankrupt French government.  The
biggest
 problem with "The Mote in God's Eye" is that eventually the human
governments
 are going to have something happen to them and not be able to hold the
line,
 and the Motie's are going to get out.

   grant