Prev: Re: [FH] Vectorverse was Re: NAC - American style Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:16:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets

At 7:15 PM +0100 1/25/05, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:
>Ryan Gill wrote:
>
>>>Other than directly ahead of the ATGM, even a small mortar round
>>>has a considerably greater lethal effect.
>>
>>I had always thought the HE was focused towards the shaped charge,
>>but that there was a secondary annular blast that was still not to
>>be shrugged at.
>
>The secondary blast is nasty enough to cause concern for the gunner
>at very short firing ranges - ie., if you fire enough of them at
>short ranges (eg. in training) you run a non-negligible risk of
>getting hit by shrapnel from your own weapon at some point in your
>life.
>
>It isn't enough - that is to say, the "lethal radius" is too small -
>to be consistently useful against dispersed targets (and you don't
>have enough missiles to fire them at such targets hoping that it
>*might* work). Pretty much any SGII squad not inside a vehicle or
>building, even if all the figures are in base-to-base contact, is
>effectively a dispersed target since each figure's base is some 5 -
>10 meters across in the SGII ground scale.
>
>Because the users want to be able to use our products at ever
>shorter ranges, and also because any energy that isn't going towards
>the primary target is wasted in an anti-armour weapon, there's a
>*lot* of work going on to minimize the amount of blast and shrapnel
>that goes anywhere else than into the primary target.

So that's a design goal of at least some of the current crop of
ATGMs. Not a general factor of HEAT warheads in general.

>>To modern Shaped charges have any kind of restricting material
>>around the HE component to optimize the blast towards the cone?
>
>Yes. In HEAT rounds this casing is usually designed to form as few,
>as large and as slow fragments as possible in order to maximize the
>amount of energy that goes into the armoured target. In HEDP rounds
>it is frangible, but HEDP rounds give up a quite significant
>proportion of their armour penetration in order to play second-rate
>HEF - generally speaking HEDP warheads are effective against lightly
>armoured targets like light APCs or aircraft, but don't try to use
>them against tanks.
>
>>Granted there generally isn't any fragmentation component on them
>>but even something like IPDSM is nasty to be near as they have an
>>area frag effect and a shaped charge piercing effect.
>
>I suspect that you mean "DPICM" rather than "IPDSM" - not least because

Brain fart. The little bomblets. I was thinking Improved Dual-purpose
Scattered Munitions....

>>Gosh, thinking about the general cone shaped effect of old WWII
>>style artillery (HE rounds) is there a similar effect with lower
>>velocity ATGMs?
>
>If you're thinking of the "butterfly-shaped" shrapnel distribution
>patterns typical for WW2 HE rounds, there is a similar effect with
>ATGMs but with a quite different shape to the pattern.

Looks like a butterfly on the ground, but its really a 3 d cone as
I understand. Angle of incidence effects it too. Of course they also
airburst more too.
-		  Data Center Operations Group		      -
-		http://web.turner.com/data_center/	       -
- Ryan Montieth Gill		       One CNN Center SE0813 E -
- Hours 11am - 7pm Mon - Fri	    (8Sdc, 10Sdc IT@3Ndc)      -
- Cellular: 404-545-6205	     e-mail: Ryan.Gill@cnn.com -
- Office: 404-588-6191					       -
-	      Emergency Power-off != Door release!	       -

Prev: Re: [FH] Vectorverse was Re: NAC - American style Next: RE: [SGII] Fire of AT Missiles at disperesed tagets