Prev: Re: % of front shots - was RE: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this thread... Next: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this

Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this

From: Brian B <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:11:09 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Well, too interesting to drop all of the posts in this

--- Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@abacom.com> wrote:

> Problem is that when you're planning your move, you
> may need to check all
> your opponent vehicule armor value to be sure to be
> at the right place when
> you fire. That's means a lot more planning and
> longer game turns.

If you're spending inordinate amounts of time weighing
individual enemy units' armor prior to movement, the
problem may not lie in the game mechanics....

I'm not
> sure this will enhance the game experience that much
> for the additionnal
> time spent.

And I disagree.  I'm more than happy to spend an extra
few minutes playing in order to have a greater variety
of design options when I build my vehicles.

> >So establish a clearer more definitive rule for
> >determining angle of attack.
>
> The movement system is quite abstract (you can
> change your ending facing).
> Putting more importance on angle of attack would
> likely means you need a
> more complexe movement system.

Not that much more complex, if at all.	As it has been
stated, the rules regarding determining facing are
already pretty clear-cut.

> Changing the "default" length of the game can be
> serious.

Again, if it's that serious a concern for you, and the
greater variety slows things down that much, then in
YOUR setting's design rules, limit it.

> Sure, you say people can put limitation on design,
> but you should see if
> the majority prefer longer game or not.

Or how about this?  You design a game that will allow
people to play longer OR shorter games, and let them
decide?  Then you don't have to eliminate ANY
significant portion of the consumer base.

>If not,
> people who prefer longer
> game could do the tweak themself.

Again, the point must have several levels of stealth,
because you missed it WIDE.  By allowing any
configuration of armor, and providing a well thought
out, accurate points costing system, then the players
who prefer short games can use a design system that
limits armor, and the people who prefer long games can
use a design system that allows greater levels of
armor.	In other words, by establishing a costing
system independent of a design system, you've made a
quantum leap toards the goal of a generic system.

=====
"In life, you must try and be the type of person that your dog thinks
you are."

- Anonymous

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail